Claiming ERC When Revenue Rises
Q. The company's revenue went up in 2020 and/or 2021. Can they still qualify for the ERC credit?
There are two possible qualifications for 2020 & 2021: revenue reduction, or a "full or partial shutdown of your business due to COVID-19". Specifically the IRS describes this as "A government authority required partial or full shutdown of your business during 2020 or 2021. This includes your operations being limited by commerce, inability to travel or restrictions of group meetings." Below are several examples of qualifying events:
- Example 1: A business had delayed production timelines caused by supply chain disruptions.
- Example 2: A restaurant must close or limit its on-site dining. Such as having to close down every other table, due to COVID-19 restrictions.
- Example 3: A business that needs to meet with clients in person and has to cancel meetings due to COVID-19 restrictions.
- Example 4: A business has to reduce their operating hours because COVID-19 restrictions and cleaning requirements.
- Example 5: A business with a planned event has to cancel that event, or restrict the amount of people who can attend due to COVID-19 restrictions.